Travelling in Europe or calling it your home comes with a distinct set of online experiences and challenges. To access geographically restricted content, protect your online privacy, or simply enjoy a seamless web experience, a Virtual Private Network (VPN) is indispensable. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll walk you through the best VPN for Europe to elevate your internet escapades.
In a hurry?
🏆 Our top pick for a VPN to use in Europe is NordVPN.
Best Europe VPNs: a quick summary
- NordVPN: Offers robust security features and high-speed connectivity.
- CyberGhost: Known for its user-friendly interface and vast EU VPN server network.
- VPN.ac: Stands out for its advanced technical capabilities and secure encryption methods.
- IPVanish: Commended for its fast connection speeds and support for multiple devices.
- Surfshark: Noteworthy for its budget-friendly plans without compromising on features.
The Best VPNs for Europe: Full Analysis
Before diving into the specifics, let’s acknowledge why these VPNs are the top contenders for Europe. Each one offers unique advantages, such as numerous server locations, top-tier security features, or excellent customer support. More importantly, each provides a reliable service that has gained the trust of users. So, without further ado, let’s delve into these VPNs, one by one.
- Strong security features
- Great for privacy (zero logs & no IP leaks)
- Exceptionally fast speeds
- Based in Panama, a privacy haven
- Allows torrents on designated servers
- Works with Netflix and other streaming services
- Includes Smart DNS proxy
- Compatible with most devices & platforms
- No split tunnelling on desktop
Headquartered in Panama, NordVPN is our top recommendation when it comes to being the best Europe VPN.
Priced at an affordable $4.19 per month, NordVPN offers an impressive speed of 373 Mb/s out of 500 Mb/s. Its no-logs policy ensures that your activities are never recorded, which is a critical feature to look for in any VPN.
NordVPN supports various platforms, including its VPN apps for Android, iOS, Windows, Mac, and Linux, which means you can enjoy its service no matter what device you use.
The features like IPv6 leak protection, custom DNS, Onion over VPN, dedicated IP, and split-tunneling enhance security and user experience significantly. It also works with Netflix and allows for torrenting.
With NordVPN, you can have up to six connections at a time, all of which are covered by their 30-day money-back guarantee.
Customer support is available through self-service FAQ, 24/7 chat, a chatbot, and email, so assistance is always within reach.
For Europe, NordVPN has servers in 35 countries, totaling over 2,500 servers. This broad server distribution ensures that you can access content from across the continent.
Price $2.19 p/mo.
- Based in Romania (no data retention)
- Fully-fledged security suite
- Strong encryption & no leaks
- Fast & supports WireGuard
- Works with Netflix & Amazon Prime Video
- Torrenting is allowed
- Multi-language support
- Doesn't work in China
- UX could be simpler
Based in Romania, CyberGhost starts from $2.19 per month, providing excellent value for money.
Its speed of 350 Mb/s out of 500 Mb/s ensures that your online experience is smooth and enjoyable. CyberGhost does not keep logs of your activities, and this has been audited for verification.
The VPN is compatible with multiple platforms such as Android, iOS, Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It offers features such as a full security & anti-virus suite, a kill switch, DNS & IP leak protection, an ad blocker, data compression, and a port randomizer.
It supports streaming platforms like Netflix and gaming consoles like PS4 and Xbox.
CyberGhost allows for up to 7 devices to connect simultaneously and extends a 45-day guarantee for refunds.
CyberGhost boasts an impressive network with 5,500+ servers across 55 European cities.
These features and more make CyberGhost a robust and trustworthy Europe VPN, suitable for users prioritizing a balance of speed, security, and server availability.
You can reach out to their customer support via 24/7 live chat and email.
Price $3.75 p/mo
- Registered in Romania (no data retention)
- Fast speeds with WireGuard support
- Top security features
- Innovative encryption techniques
- Allows P2P & torrent traffic
- Simple & intuitive applications
- Secure browser proxy extension
- Fast support response times
- Small server network
Another top Europe VPN choice is VPN.ac, also based in Romania.
VPN.ac provides excellent speeds of up to 350 Mb/s out of 500 Mb/s, beginning from $3.75 per month.
They do keep connection logs but only for 24 hours, which is a minimal retention period compared to other providers.
The applications for VPN.ac span across various platforms, including PC, Mac, Android, iOS, and Linux, with extensions available for Chrome, Firefox, and Opera. The VPN comes with notable features like a kill switch, private DNS, browser proxy, ECC encryption, AES-GCM, obfuscation, WireGuard, and Wintun driver support.
VPN.ac also supports Netflix and is a reliable VPN for torrenting on designated servers. Within Europe, VPN.ac has servers in 23 countries, providing ample coverage across the continent.
VPN.ac allows up to six simultaneous connections, and they offer a 7-day money-back guarantee.
Customer support is available via email.
Price $3.33 /mo.
- Proven 'zero logs' VPN
- 1,400+ servers, 70+ locations
- Works with Netflix & Kodi
- Strong security: kill switch & leak protection
- Torrents allowed
- Unlimited connections
- Offers phone support
- Doesn't work in China
- Based in a "Five Eyes" country
IPVanish, though based in the United States, is a suitable Europe VPN due to its comprehensive features.
With a speed of 200 Mb/s out of 500 Mb/s, the VPN starts from $3.33 per month.
It doesn’t maintain logs of your activities — meaning, it’s a no log VPN — which has also been verified in a real case subpoena case.
The VPN is compatible with Windows, Mac, Android, iOS (has VPN app for iOS), Fire TV, and Linux, extending its coverage to diverse users. Features include a kill switch, OpenVPN obfuscation, LAN traffic block, DNS, IPv6 traffic leak protection, split-tunneling, and SugarSync storage. It supports Netflix and allows for torrenting.
One standout feature of IPVanish is its allowance for unlimited connections.
It offers a 30-day guarantee for refunds, and their customer support can be reached through 24/7 live chat, email, and phone support. This extensive support system ensures you can get help whenever you need it.
- No logs & based in BVI
- Great speeds plus WireGuard support
- Large server network
- Allows torrenting
- Works in China
- Unlimited connections
- Chrome & Firefox extensions
- Helpful, 24/7 support
- No Tor over VPN
Finally, Surfshark, based in the British Virgin Islands, offers impressive speeds of 360 Mb/s out of 500 Mb/s starting at just $2.49 per month.
It follows a no-logs policy, ensuring your activities are not stored.
Surfshark works with Windows, iOS, Mac, Android, Linux, Android TV, Fire TV, Chrome, and Firefox. The VPN offers a suite of features including a kill switch, multi-hop, split-tunneling, ad/tracker/malware blocking, WireGuard, Shadowsocks, stealth mode, and breach alerts.
It works well with popular streaming platforms like Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, ESPN, BBC iPlayer, Prime Video, HBO Go, Spotify, and CBS.
With 600+ servers in 30+ European countries, Surfshark provides wide coverage and fast speeds across the region.
Surfshark allows for unlimited connections, and provides a 30-day refund guarantee. Customer support is available via live chat and email.
Europe VPN services comparison table
|Ranking||VPN Provider||European Servers||Price From||Speed||Netflix||Torrenting||Money-back Guarantee||Jurisdiction||Website|
|1||NordVPN||2500+ servers in 35 countries||$4.19 p/mo.||373 Mb/s||Yes||Yes||30 days||Panama||NordVPN.com|
|2||CyberGhost||5500+ servers in 55 European cities||$2.19 p/mo.||350 Mb/s||Yes||Yes||45 days||Romania||CyberGhostVPN.com|
|3||VPN.ac||Servers in 23 European countries||$3.75 p/mo.||350 Mb/s||Yes||Yes (on designated servers)||7 days||Romania||VPN.ac|
|4||IPVanish||550 servers in 31 European countries||$3.33 p/mo.||200 Mb/s||Yes||Yes||30 days||United States||IPVanish.com|
|5||Surfshark||600+ servers in 30+ European countries||$2.49 p/mo.||360 Mb/s||Yes||Yes||30 days||British Virgin Islands||Surfshark.com|
The Best European VPN Providers
When choosing a VPN for Europe, it is essential to consider where the VPN provider’s headquarters are located. This can affect how they handle your data, especially considering different privacy laws across the globe. Let’s take a look at the top three providers with headquarters in Europe:
- VPN.ac: Located in Romania, VPN.ac offers impressive features and good European coverage with servers in 23 countries. They also keep minimal logs (for 24 hours), ensuring user data isn’t retained excessively.
- CyberGhost: Also based in Romania, CyberGhost has an expansive server network, including 5,500+ servers across 55 European cities. Their feature-packed service and no-log policy make them a top contender for the best European VPN.
- ProtonVPN: Based in Switzerland, ProtonVPN is renowned for its strong emphasis on privacy. Although it wasn’t part of the quick summary, it deserves a mention here due to its secure core servers, strict no-log policy, and transparent operating model.
How to Get a European VPN
Getting a European VPN is simple and straightforward. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
- Research and choose a VPN provider that meets your needs. Refer to our quick summary and detailed list to help your decision.
- Visit the VPN provider’s website and sign up for the service. This usually involves creating an account and selecting a payment plan.
- Download and install the VPN app on your device. Most providers offer applications for a range of devices and operating systems.
- Open the VPN app and log in with your account details.
- Connect to a server located in Europe. If your VPN provider has multiple European server locations, select the one that is closest to your desired location.
- Congratulations! You’re now using a European VPN.
💡 Pro tip
Looking for a good offer? No doubt you are! Check out our detailed list of the biggest and best VPN deals to grab yourself a fantastic discount on your next purchase.
Why Do I Need a VPN for Europe?
The need for a VPN in Europe can be summarised in three key points:
- Accessing Geographically Restricted Content: Some content is only accessible from certain locations. A European VPN allows you to access Europe-specific content from anywhere in the world.
- Enhanced Privacy: VPNs encrypt your data, making it harder for third parties to monitor your online activities. This is crucial as there are ten European countries within the Fourteen Eyes surveillance alliance. Plus, the EU requires companies from its member states to retain user data for 24 months.
- Bypassing Censorship: VPNs can help bypass internet restrictions and censorship by routing your internet connection through a different server, effectively changing your perceived location. This way, you can overcome such restrictions by connecting to VPN servers outside of the region.
How to Get American Netflix in Europe? 🇺🇸
With a good VPN, you can access American Netflix from Europe by following these steps:
- Choose a VPN that works with Netflix and its geo-restrictions (like NordVPN or CyberGhost).
- Install the VPN app on your device and sign in.
- Connect to a server located in the United States.
- Open Netflix and log in. You should now be able to access the American Netflix library.
How to Watch European Netflix in the US? 🇪🇺
Similarly, you can access European Netflix from the US with these steps:
- Choose a VPN with servers in the European country whose Netflix library you want to access.
- Install the VPN app on your device and sign in.
- Connect to a server located in your chosen European country.
- Open Netflix and log in. You should now be able to access the European Netflix library.
What is the Best Free Europe VPN?
When it comes to free VPNs, it’s important to remember the old adage, “If you’re not paying for the product, you are the product.” Free VPNs often come with limitations in terms of data usage, speed, and security.
Nevertheless, if you’re determined to go the free route, ProtonVPN is a top pick. With headquarters in Switzerland, ProtonVPN offers a limited free version with servers in three countries. While it’s not as comprehensive as its premium counterpart, it offers more privacy and security than most free VPNs in the market.
How to Use a VPN in Europe?
Using a VPN in Europe is not much different from using one anywhere else. Here are the steps:
- Choose a VPN provider. Depending on your needs, you might want to choose a provider with servers in specific European countries or a provider based in Europe, such as VPN.ac or CyberGhost.
- Install the VPN app on your device(s). All the providers we have mentioned offer clients for various platforms including VPN for Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS.
- Open the VPN app and log in using your credentials.
- Choose a server in your desired location. If you’re in Europe and want to access content elsewhere, choose a server outside Europe. If you’re outside Europe and want to access European content, choose a European server.
- Click “Connect.” Your data is now encrypted, and your online activities are much more private. You should be able to access the content available in the location of your chosen server.
Remember, while a VPN greatly enhances your online privacy, it does not provide complete anonymity. Always abide by legal guidelines and ethical norms while browsing.
Best Europe VPN Services — recap
Whether you’re looking for the best VPN for travel to Europe, want to access European content from overseas, or simply value your online privacy as an EU resident, this guide should provide a handy reference point.
To recap, here are our very top picks for VPNs to use either for or in Europe, including in the European Union. Keep safe and happy browsing!
- NordVPN: Provides strong security and fast internet speeds.
- CyberGhost: Easy to use with a large number of servers in Europe.
- VPN.ac: Known for high tech security and strong privacy protection.
- IPVanish: Offers quick connections and works on many devices.
- Surfshark: Good value for money with lots of handy features.
Europe VPN FAQs
Looking for quick answers to your burning VPN for Europe queries? Dive into our FAQ section below!
Is VPN legal in Europe?
Yes, using a VPN is absolutely legal in most countries across Europe. The use of VPN technology is completely above board, as long as you are not using it for illegal activities. However, it’s always recommended to familiarize yourself with the specific laws of the country you’re in or connecting to, as VPN usage can be restricted in some places.
What’s the best European VPN server location to connect to?
The best European VPN server location to connect to depends on your specific needs. If speed is your primary concern, it’s generally advisable to connect to a server that is geographically close to your actual location. However, if you’re looking to access content that’s regionally restricted to a particular European country, you would want to choose a server located in that country.
Can you access American Netflix in Europe using a VPN?
Yes, a reliable VPN can help you access American Netflix from Europe. VPNs mask your IP address and make it seem as though you are browsing from a different location. By connecting to a U.S. server, you can bypass Netflix’s geo-restrictions and enjoy the American catalog of shows and movies.
Which VPN has the most servers in Europe?
When it comes to the VPN with the most servers in Europe, CyberGhost leads the pack. It boasts a staggering network of over 5500 servers across numerous European cities. This extensive network ensures users can always find a reliable, high-speed connection within Europe.